Thursday, December 06, 2012

MC2 Post 1461 How to Get Around UEFI Secure Boot on New Windows 8 Machines







From:   http://distrowatch.com  


Under Questions and Answers (by Jesse Smith)

First I tried to simply change the boot order and was told this was not possible while Secure Boot was enabled. Hunting through the menus I finally found the Secure Boot feature and, selecting it, I was informed (via a big, red warning box) that disabling Secure Boot was dangerous and not recommended.

Then I had to disable Secure Boot and re-enabled "Legacy" boot options in the proper order and then, finally, I was able to enable specific devices from which I wanted to boot. After that I was able to boot from my thumb drive only if I knew to hold down F9 while the computer was starting up, we're not given that information.

In short, to get to the point where we can attempt to boot an alternative operating system we need to know our way through six steps:


    Boot machine while pressing F10
    Find Secure Boot in the menu tree, ignore warnings
    Disable Secure Boot feature
    Enable legacy boot options
    Enable specific legacy devices, such as USB devices
    Save and reboot while holding down F9


---------------------------------------

This Process is Not Recommended  for the Faint at heart.

Wingman. 

---------------------------------------


 



===================================
===================================


=============
=============


MC2 LOGO

=============
=============


No comments: